Monday, March 21, 2011

2-3inch lift 1982



lookin to get a lift on my lil guy, got him stuck in the sand today and am lookin for a cheap lift, body and suspension. doubt ill do both, but might start with a cheap body lift for a lil bigger tires and go from there. think i found one for around 120 with the shipping, but wanna hear what others say!




Reply 1 : 2-3inch lift 1982



Body lifts are great, make sure you get a quality kit with strong body bolts. Some come with grade 3 hardware, upgrade it to grade 8 or better if you can..



check out www.4crawler.com for tips and tricks



Consider locking your rear axle, will make it so much more fun

Reply 2 : 2-3inch lift 1982



4crawler is the best BL around. He'll do custom sizes and is the only one around for an auto trans.

Great service too.

Reply 3 : 2-3inch lift 1982



I would not put in a body lift unless you need distributor clearance for a chevy V8 transplant or something. I would save up and buy a spring lift...you will get the truck lifted...not just the body jacked up on the frame....

I think they look tacky anyways, but that is just my opinion....

Reply 4 : 2-3inch lift 1982



Yes, thats your opinon. Body lifts have their places, just like everything else.



I'd consider a locker for lifting it

Reply 5 : 2-3inch lift 1982



I have a 2" BL on my 84. It allowed me to raise the driveline 2" higher for a nearly flat underbelly. Also made room to raise my fuel tank 2" for more clearance underneath.

I have a 2" BL on my 83 to make room for the 3.8 V6/TH350 auto swap.

Some people want a BL for bigger tires just for the look.

Reply 6 : 2-3inch lift 1982




Quote:








Originally Posted by fourwd1
View Post

I have a 2" BL on my 84. It allowed me to raise the driveline 2" higher for a nearly flat underbelly. Also made room to raise my fuel tank 2" for more clearance underneath.

I have a 2" BL on my 83 to make room for the 3.8 V6/TH350 auto swap.

Some people want a BL for bigger tires just for the look.





The applications you mentioned make perfect sense for the use of a body lift.

My original mention of thinking they look tacky is because I see many Toyota's that "kids" have dumped major coin in tires/rims, winches, roll bars and nerf bars, more lights than most christmas trees, and to top it off they put a body lift in it instead of a suspension lift. It seems like it is nothing but a "street-wheeler" I guess. Being in my 40's, I just do not understand the mentality. It appears I really hit a nerve with a Moderator here in the forum. I am guessing the person is pretty young considering the tact of the reply to my post. I would be curious to know how many years he has actually worked on vehicles...I started back in 1980 with my first car in High School.

And once again, I was not intending to take shots at people that use body lifts, because they do have practical applications. That's all....

Reply 7 : 2-3inch lift 1982



Lets try this again! Thread cleared of clutter..



everyone take a deep breath.

Reply 8 : 2-3inch lift 1982




Quote:







everyone take a deep breath.


can we exhale now ?

Reply 9 : 2-3inch lift 1982



haha, if you must

Reply 10 : 2-3inch lift 1982



I'll be doing my "how to fit 33's with minimal cost" in the next 3 weeks... All you need is a 1" BL from 4crawler a long with ball joint spacers and longer shackles. I'm also regearing to 4.88 with a v6 diff out of a 93 4runner and a rear third member out of a v6 88 4runner. As for lockers, the rear already has a powertrax lockright and I'm putting an Aussie up front. If you go on craigslook.com type in "toyota 4.88" and a guy has a front diff for sale with a DETROIT in it!!! It's only $300! I spent $385 total for my locker and diff

Reply 11 : 2-3inch lift 1982



im not a fan of body lift either, unless you go and put in the work to raise everything up as well.



when i get my toyota 4x4, im definitely going to spring lift it. when i was planning on solid axle swapping my 92 blazer, i was going to throw the rear leafs up front, and use ford F150 leafs for the rear. that would give me about 8" of lift right there haha!

i'd be able to throw the rear leafs up front, and maybe use a set of s10 4x4 pickup springs in the rear with shackles (the s10 pickup 4x4 springs lift a s10 blazer 4x4 about 2-3" ive heard). does anyone know of a better spring to use for the rear?



should lift it quite a bit



i can get 2 whole leaf spring packs for under 60$ at my local JY, any leaf packs, doesnt matter what they're off of.

Reply 12 : 2-3inch lift 1982



thanks for all the info guys, i like the idea pyrojoe has so i will be waiting to do any lifting untill that tutorial comes out!

Reply 13 : 2-3inch lift 1982



63" chevies are very popular. I will be doing them, hopfally this year. Met a guy who had them on his 3rd gen p/u. Damn that thing rode like caddy! Even on 36's

Reply 14 : 2-3inch lift 1982



The 63" Chevy swap is great for rockcrawling. The length provides awesome flex when done properly. They don't provide a lot of lift, but that's not the reason for using them. Along with a properly designed front supension, the truck will float over obstacles.

No comments:

Post a Comment