Wednesday, March 23, 2011

thinking about a Stone & Bug deflector? my experience



guys, just wanted to post a brief note about Weathertech's Stone and Bug deflector, thought I'd also warn anyone with one of these about the problem I've found...



Cliffnote version: the deflector may rub your hood causing paint pitting and eventual rust.



This wasn't obvious at first install. The front of the deflector is secured with 2 screws to the underside of the hood (in existing holes) and tucked in between the grill and the hood. There didn't seem to be anything obviously rubbing.



Well, when I removed the grill yesterday (first time since I installed it in 07), this is what I found:











I have an email in to Weathertech.



The problem is obvious--rubbing causing eventual scratch/pit, followed by rust. The solution could have been easy--just putting some felt or silicone to protect the paint...





Addendum:



Received an email from Weathertech; they are looking into the situation. Hope to have some resolution, or at least have them modify the product so no one else has this happen to them. These shields are actually made by AVS/Lundi, not Weathertech...

Reply 1 : thinking about a Stone & Bug deflector? my experience



Family member has 2000 4 runner with FActory guard. Still looks like new....might cost $300-500 to repaint.....

Reply 2 : thinking about a Stone & Bug deflector? my experience



doctor subie,



I own 3 factory deflectors and do not have that problem. They are worth the extra money.

Reply 3 : thinking about a Stone & Bug deflector? my experience



update: AVS/Lundi will be adding a mylar strip to any potential contact points, and reimbursing me for the paint damage...they were very responsive to this issue...



main thing for existing customers would be to remove and clean the shield where it would potentially contact the hood very well. I ended up putting some felt stickon pads on potential contact points...

No comments:

Post a Comment