Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I'm at 35,910 mi, had no problems, should I buy extended warranty?



Or, more specifically, have any of you guys had major problems pop up AFTER 36k miles? I've read of The Bathtub Curve and have found it to be true in my experience. I don't really want to waste $1000 for a warranty that I will never benefit from... I know it's a gamble. Have any of you guys gotten any benefit out of your extended warranties?

Reply 1 : I'm at 35,910 mi, had no problems, should I buy extended warranty?



When I was making that decision (I was approaching 3 yrs) I decided against the extended. The The 5-year/60,000 drivetrain warranty was a factor for me. I'm approaching 5 yrs and still no major (or any, really) problems. However, I'm only at 37,000 miles.



I bet that a lot of guys in the 50-60K mile range have gotten use out of their extended warranties.

Reply 2 : I'm at 35,910 mi, had no problems, should I buy extended warranty?



I have the extended warranty on mine. I bought it because this is the first 4wd vehicle I have owned and want that system to be covered. I also plan on keeping the truck for many miles and years.

Reply 3 : I'm at 35,910 mi, had no problems, should I buy extended warranty?



I got ext. warranty and have never used it. That's how it works. If you have it you don't need it. If you don't have it you need it. Seriously the main things I have seen complaints about on these trucks is the 6 speed and the AC compressor. It seems like the compressor wouldn't be worth the $1000 even though Toyota wants about $2600 or so to install one. That bathtub curve makes sense. Toyota wouldn't offer extended warranties if they didn't make money on it. I'm at 67K but I have the 5 lug which doesn't have all the 4wd stuff to worry about.

Reply 4 : I'm at 35,910 mi, had no problems, should I buy extended warranty?



I've use the extended power train on my 6 speed. That's been about it.

Reply 5 : I'm at 35,910 mi, had no problems, should I buy extended warranty?



Extended warranties are a lot like Vegas slot machines. The house keeps the money almost every time... but occasionally you hit a small jackpot.

Reply 6 : I'm at 35,910 mi, had no problems, should I buy extended warranty?



I decided against it back then. So far I am glad I did.

I had a lot of problems with the truck in the first three years, probably around $10,000 worth of problems that were all fixed under warranty. No problems whatsoever since year 3, and the truck is now 5 years old with 58K miles.

Reply 7 : I'm at 35,910 mi, had no problems, should I buy extended warranty?



yes for the heater compass and air conditioning they all fail

Reply 8 : I'm at 35,910 mi, had no problems, should I buy extended warranty?



typically i would almost always vote no on extended warranties-they are expensive and a pain in the ass. but these trucks are pretty problematic. if you're not mechanically inclined, i would regretfully have to say yes. get it.

Reply 9 : I'm at 35,910 mi, had no problems, should I buy extended warranty?




Quote:








Originally Posted by Zembonez
View Post

Extended warranties are a lot like Vegas slot machines. The house keeps the money almost every time... but occasionally you hit a small jackpot.



This is it -- it's a crapshoot, and the odds are definitely in the house's favor, which is why dealerships (and insurance companies) push them so hard.



I prefer to buy something reasonably reliable (Toyota) and pay for repairs if needed. If I buy an extended warranty, I'm paying whether anything breaks or not. If nothing breaks, the money stays in my pocket.

Reply 10 : I'm at 35,910 mi, had no problems, should I buy extended warranty?



I had the Platinum 100K warranty, I am now at 135K. In the warranty period I had my rear leafs replaced via TSB, my exhaust manifolds replaced via TSB, so neither really apply. My fuel door hinge broke off, not covered anyway. My shift light indicator failed because I spilled iced tea in my console..covered. I had both hubs replaced, one at 45K one at 98K. The last 3 repairs were worth the cost of the warranty so I didn't win or lose.



IMO, knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't buy it next time.

Reply 11 : I'm at 35,910 mi, had no problems, should I buy extended warranty?



Thanks for the anecdotes, guys. I'm still on the fence, so it's likely I will probably not take any action and therefore not get the warranty and just bite the bullet if I ever do need a major repair.

Reply 12 : I'm at 35,910 mi, had no problems, should I buy extended warranty?



If you ever watch, read, or listen to (or believe ) Clark Howard -- his stance on extended warranties is basically if you can afford to have it repaired, don't buy the insurance policy.... uh, warranty. Use insurance for things you can't afford to replace, such as your home.

Reply 13 : I'm at 35,910 mi, had no problems, should I buy extended warranty?




Quote:








Originally Posted by Splicer
View Post

If you ever watch, read, or listen to (or believe ) Clark Howard -- his stance on extended warranties is basically if you can afford to have it repaired, don't buy the insurance policy.... uh, warranty. Use insurance for things you can't afford to replace, such as your home.



I think this is a smart way of looking at it. Add health insurance to the list where insurance is worth it. Skip it for the truck.

Reply 14 : I'm at 35,910 mi, had no problems, should I buy extended warranty?



I would get it. Just got off the phone with the dealer in Bellevue. They are replacing the rear suspension again. A TSB to the TSB. New rear leaf springs. From 3 leaf to 4 leaf and now to a new 4 leaf. Like I said in another post, this is a new model of truck for them and design flaws will creep up. They have spent thousands of dollars on my rig with TSB's and attempts to narrow down noises that they couldn't fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment