Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Changing Power Steering Fluid - advice needed



How to change the power steering fluid on a '00 LE 4 cyl? If anyone has step-by-step instructions (at least high-level) I'd appreciate it.



I know where the pump is and how to get access to it through the fender opening. I got 70+k miles and close to 3 years on the car now and was thinking it is time to replace the fluid; or I may wait till the timing belt is due at 90K and do it then (I may decide to do the belt myself if it does not happen in the winter...)



Would draining the system (e.g. letting air in) would do any harm? Can it be "bled" like a brake system if this happens? What's the fluid capacity?

Reply 1 : Changing Power Steering Fluid - advice needed



First I jack up the front end. I do this so that I dont need to start the engine. Lifting the front end means I can simply turn the steering wheel and pump out the fluid.





Then I cover the surrounding area with lots of rags. In my case that would be old underwear. LOL.





I use an old shampoo pump bottle to pump out the old fluid from the reservior.







I then top up with fresh Castrol Dex III, I buy them in 18L buckets. Next comes the secret, the correct connectors. One to connect the return hose to a bucket.





And the other to act like a plug to cap off the reservoir inlet.





So the connection looks something like this.



I use transparent plastic hose with ID about 9mm. I lead the return hose to a bucket.



After all the connections are in place. I simply turn the steering left and right. Fluid pumps out easily. Like doing a blood transplant.



I dont allow the fluid to drop too much in the reservoir. I cautiously top up quickly. Cos if air enters the PS system, that would be disaster. In my case, I discovered once I started the fluid flowing, I didnt have to turn the steering no more, the fluid was flowing out by itself, 'siphon effect'. Within a minute, fresh fluid was already coming out the return side. The PS system only has about 1L of fluid in it. The total amount of new fluid I used was only about 1.5L. So now I remove the connectors and reconnect the return hose to the reservoir. There will be some small spillage cos new fluid will be coming out the reservoir inlet. This is where the rags (or underwear) comes handy. I covered the reservoir area very well cos I was afraid oil might get on to the belts but it was really overkill. The amount that spilled out was very little. Just one rag under the reservior would have been sufficient. It took me less than 30mins to do the DIY flush. This flush was as simple as doing an oil change. The connectors and hose cost my S$5. 1.5L of Dex III is about S$6.

Reply 2 : Changing Power Steering Fluid - advice needed



Wow! Great job Ken4! You should work for Haynes and detail other repairs.



As for me, I just siphon (using a syringe type siphon) as much fluid out of the reservour as possible at every oil change. After I have gone through 3 quarts of new fluid , I know it is 95%+ changed out.

Reply 3 : Changing Power Steering Fluid - advice needed



wow....vote for sticky!!!

Reply 4 : Changing Power Steering Fluid - advice needed



Added to the Camry FAQ.



http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t6831.html





9mm ID (inner diameter) = 3/8"





From the pictures, it looks like you have 3 fittings.



1. 3/8" brass barbed fitting.



2. 3/8" barb to 1/4" MNPT (male NPT (national pipe thread))



3. 1/4" FNPT (female NPT (national pipe thread)) cap.





Home Depot sells brass NPT fittings and clear hose.

Reply 5 : Changing Power Steering Fluid - advice needed



wait your sposta change the ps fluid?

Reply 6 : Changing Power Steering Fluid - advice needed



Very Informative..

I think I will attempt this..



Is the procedure the same for a Gen 3?

How do you tell the inlet from the outlet?

Is it best to use ATF Dercon III in a Gen 3?

As it is draining, do you just add new fluid to the res?



Thanks

Reply 7 : Changing Power Steering Fluid - advice needed




Quote:








Originally Posted by steve97


Wow! Great job Ken4! You should work for Haynes and detail other repairs.




Yea! Great job Ken4!



Haynes would turn him down as they will not approve the use of underwear as rags.

Reply 8 : Changing Power Steering Fluid - advice needed




Quote:








Originally Posted by chronoti


wait your sposta change the ps fluid?



same Q here

Reply 9 : Changing Power Steering Fluid - advice needed



Ken4 I also think your demo on the power steering fl. change with all those great pics is absolutely fantastic! Thanks a million!

Reply 10 : Changing Power Steering Fluid - advice needed



nice instructions!



quick questions tho... since the fluid will drain out when you hook up the hoses, do you need to pump out the fluid in the reservoir? seems like an extra step.

Reply 11 : Changing Power Steering Fluid - advice needed



bringing this thread back

Main question: how do you know when to stop draining to prevent air from entering? and.. the fluid is red??? mine is DARK black.



and..vtek, you gotta pump it out of the resivoir because. look at the pic, it has no where to go, and if you just unplugged it, it would all drain out, and if that happened, only ONE hanes underware just wouldnt be enough

Reply 12 : Changing Power Steering Fluid - advice needed



When i change the ps fluid all i do is syphon the fluid out and replace it with new fluid and then start the car and turn the stearing wheel from corner to corner about three times turn the car off and repeat untill all fluid come out like clean. that the easyest way to do it without lifting the car up.

Reply 13 : Changing Power Steering Fluid - advice needed



??can you tell me how to prevent air from entering? prolly easy cuz nobocy is saying anything

Reply 14 : Changing Power Steering Fluid - advice needed




Quote:







??can you tell me how to prevent air from entering? prolly easy cuz nobocy is saying anything


Ok if you do it the way i did you would not have to worry about air entering into the system bacause all you are doing is taking the old fluid out and replacing with new fluid. But if you some how get air into it DON'T PANIC you can easily get the air out by lifting the car up and putting it up on jackstand and tur the engine on and turn the steering wheel all the way both ways for about 7-8 times and that will clear up the fair and will escape from the fluid reserve. If you get air in it you will emediatly hear the PS pump scream very loud and you might get scared but don't worry just do what i told you and you will be fine. and make sure that the fluid level is ok before and after purging the air out.

No comments:

Post a Comment