Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Recommend a good used Toyota p/u



Hello all,



This is my first post, and having said that, if this is the wrong forum, please accept my apologies in advance.



I own a 2003 Toyota Matrix and its approaching 200k miles. I've had it since it was new. Paints pretty much a done deal (black paint in AZ = fail) but, aside from oil changes and a yearly battery (AZ summers, grrr....), its kept me mobile for the past seven years. My family has on-again off-again owned Toyotas for years, and they are my first choice for vehicles.



I am in the market for a used Toyota pickup truck, and I'd like some advice on what to get. I may commute with it (50mi round trip each day) to keep miles off my Matrix, but its primary responsibility will be moving the occassional couch, and mostly getting me into and around the mountains near my house to hunt, hike, and shoot. Ten or so miles, once or twice a week.



I'm not looking for a garage queen; this truck will see its fair share of off-road abuse and I don't intend to treat it very well (it won't be my primary driver, it will be more of a recrational vehicle, and I don't plan on sinking a whole lot of money into it).



I have friends who own older Toyotas (T100s) and Nissans, and even with 250k+ miles, these old trucks are running fine for their intended use. Some are even still daily drivers.



Looking for your expert advice on what I should be considering as far as used 4x4 Toyota pickups go. I'd like to keep it cheap (sub $2k) and, as I said, aside from oil changes in my garage, I don't plan on treating it very well. As few aftermarket options would be nice, I may eventually raise the suspension, but mostly this will be a hunting truck. Expect the occassional 200-mile trip to northern AZ for elk and the like.



Any suggestions on where to start? Looking at the Tacoma line from the mid 1990s as a start, but willing to take advice from those in the know.



Thanks.

Reply 1 : Recommend a good used Toyota p/u



Luckily in Arizona you don't need to worry too much about rust. With that in mind I would look for any 85-95 pickup with the fuel injected 22re engine and a manual transmission. Anything that's even been reasonably well maintained with under 200k on it should be just what you are after. If these trucks were rust free here in the northeast I would be driving one instead of my 05 tacoma. Way better built and more rugged. Especially 85's with the solid front axle. The 79-84 trucks are really stout too but they aren't fuel injected and will likely require more fiddling with.

No comments:

Post a Comment