Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Same gear oil across the board?



Hey guys,



New to the 05+ forum. I just bought a 2007 access cab V6 TRD 4x4 Off Road. 6spd manual. It's got 104K miles. (Was used for a commuter)



So I'm going to change out the fluid in my Front & Rear Diff's, Transfer Case & Transmission. After a ton of searching, It sounds like I can use the same Gear oil in all 4 components right?



A 75W-90 weight.



Still debating on the Royal Purple (16.99/qrt) or Redline (10/qrt)

Reply 1 : Same gear oil across the board?



Yes, you can -- I used Mobil-1 75W-90 in mine (front, rear, & t-case; I have an auto trans). But I would use Redline MTL in your manual transmission instead... it's supposed to work better than 75W-90. http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=45&pcid=7

Reply 2 : Same gear oil across the board?



I was also looking at this for the Transmission, if I went Royal Purple across the board



http://www.royalpurple.com/manual-tr...ion-fluid.html

Reply 3 : Same gear oil across the board?



Ton of searching? Didn't you get the owners manual with the purchase?



Save a bundle, forget the boutique synthetics.

Reply 4 : Same gear oil across the board?



I use regular dino gear oil in everything on mine and change it every 30k miles. But I do think the transmission (especially the one in my 2.7 5 speed) could benefit from MTL in the transmission. It shifts pretty hard cold and never wants to go into 1st unless it's at a dead stop. Been like that since new. I've used MTL in a few ailing high mileage BMW transmissions and it has worked wonders.

Reply 5 : Same gear oil across the board?




Quote:








Originally Posted by worthywads
View Post

Save a bundle, forget the boutique synthetics.



I'm going to mildly disagree with you on this on.



I agree boutique synthetics in the engine probably don't in the end add up to anything if you just use a good name brand API / GL4 oil & change it like you are supposed to.. but here's the thing:



The gear boxes are different. Toyota has a relatively long interval between changes - someone will correct me but it's like 2 years or something. Sometimes the service manual only refers to "inspect fluid" whatever the hell that means - like you can tell from sticking a finger in it.

(obviously if you are wheeling & get water in it - a "milkshake" is pretty obvious. Wheelers will know what I am talking about. but the other 95% of owners?)



So, given that this is truly an example of where you have mechanical parts in an "extended drain interval scenario", I would argue that this is *exactly* where you want to drop the coin on high end oils.



Unless, you change them every year like clockwork, then yes, no point.



That's my logic for using Amsoil in the boxes; that and synthetics are "alleged" to flow better cold & hold up better hot. I just use whatever synth is on sale in the engine & don't do extended intervals there.



D

Reply 6 : Same gear oil across the board?



So I finished up using Redline 75W-90 for the front & rear diffs and the T-case. I used the Redline MTL for the tranny.



Tip for anyone doing this.. Cut the Redline bottle tops along the third ring down. The hand pump will fit nice and snug down in there.

Reply 7 : Same gear oil across the board?



if i'm subscribing to the idea that paying a lot for good gear oil is worthwhile, is this particular Amsoil a good selection for my '09 manual transmission and transfer case?



http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=213



i had intended to go with royal purple 75w-90 gear oil (which has LS additives, i believe) but i read that's not an ideal option.

No comments:

Post a Comment